Luk Yu Teahouse - Chik's Crib

11 August 2015

Luk Yu Teahouse

In my family, Miss XS is the one who hearts dim sum and drags everybody along to eat. Me? I never cared much for dim sum growing up. Of course, now I'm in Australia and absence, as they say, makes the heart grow fonder. I have come to miss dim sum, and I make up for lost time every holiday.  

One place that I've been wanting to try for a while is Luk Yu. They have a branch in Chinatown, which is an area I frequent regularly in Singapore. Ever since I saw that they are running a 30% off ala carte promotion from 3-5pm, I've always lusted for it. No shame. Because no money either.  

I like the Siew Mai, a staple dish in any dim sum. This is not the most photogenic one I came across, but the taste more than makes up for it. 
The Spring Rolls is pretty good as well, and I love the huge chunks of prawns inside each roll.



I love Liu Sa Bao ever since I first had it as a pimply-faced teenager at Bosses Restaurant (黑ē¤¾ä¼š).  I didn't much enjoy for the ones served here, mostly because I'm a cantankerous customer who thinks pandan-flavoured liu sa baos look really, really unappetizing. Kinda like a gallbladder. 

We also had the char siew bo lo bao, which were a little disappointing. It's a decent attempt, but not nearly as good as the ones by Tim Ho Wan. It lingered on our table a long time. I think I prefer Crystal Jade My Bread's version.
 
Well, that's it for the dishes we tried. There were a couple of others that I wished we could get, but they were unavailable. Maybe it's because the 3-5pm promotion is a way to clear surplus food from the kitchen from lunch? But who's judging, and it's a great way to get people - like me! - through the door. 


No comments:

Post a Comment