Matcha Nama Chocolate Recipe - Chik's Crib

20 September 2015

Matcha Nama Chocolate Recipe

A while back, J sent me a link for a Hong Kong-Style Custard French Toast recipe, which I'll get around to making. Sometime. Promise. But the Royce Matcha Nama Chocolate video tutorial, also by the same person, intrigued me more. And when I get an idea in my head, nothing can shake it out. 


When I brought this to a potluck, everybody was pretty impressed that I made nama chocolate, although it really couldn't be easier. Heat up cream in a saucepan (or microwave), add to chopped chocolate and booya! A genuine, bona fide nama chocolate. There's a couple more steps for matcha nama chocolate, but really, I couldn't be more happy about how easy it is, or how well this turned out. There just wasn't enough to go around, which I take to be a good sign. After so many potlucks, I learnt to judge when a recipe is successful just by seeing if there is any leftovers to cart back home. And this was gone in no time flat. 




For a casual baker like me, I don't usually keep heavy cream in my fridge, because who knows when I'll get around to using it before its due date? Every single time I come across a recipe that calls for cream, I used to do some mathematical gymnastics to use all the cream up, or group recipes together just to use up all the cream I bought. But as I learnt, which made my life just a little easier, yes, you can freeze cream. And as you thaw it out, they remain good as new. 


For this recipe, I defrosted a (well-wrapped!) cup of cream that had been chilling in the freezer for a number of weeks, and it was perfectly fine for usage. For convenience, it's good to weigh out and portion the cream in a number of microwave-safe bowls before freezing them. When ready to use, just nuke and presto! Hot cream, which you can use for anything from the recipe you have in mind to an impromptu chocolate fondue.     

Matcha Nama Chocolate Recipe
Original recipe from Peachy Bunny Bakes
Makes about 24 neatly cut cubes, when you discount the crooked sides and corners. They make for a good baker's privilege! I'm quite happy with the way mine turned out, though they were pretty tall, I think. It'll look more elegant if each piece was flatter and slightly broader

When covered snugly in a tupperware, the nama chocolate keeps well for a week. 

Ingredients
250g White Chocolate
10g unsalted butter
75ml Whipping Cream
1.5 tbsp Matcha Powder, plus more to dust

Steps
1) Chop the white chocolate and unsalted butter into fine pieces, and place them in a large heat-proof bowl. Make sure to use a large bowl!

2) In a small saucepan set over small-medium heat, heat the whipping cream to a simmer. Remove from heat before it comes to a boil, and pour into the chocolate-butter mixture. Push any chocolate sticking out of the cream back in as much as you can, and let the mixture stand for 5 minutes. 

3) Mix the chocolate and butter into the cream with a whisk or a spatula until smooth. Then sift in the matcha powder and continue mixing. Remember to scrape down the sides of the bowl as you go along. 

4) Line a square/rectangular lunchbox (or a chocolate mold) with baking paper, and pour the mixture into the box. (Don't worry if the mixture looks a little strange. It's perfectly normal. Mine looked ghastly at this point, like a pot of phlegm. But it turned out well.) 

5) Rap the lunchbox hard on a kitchen towel/coaster to free air bubbles trapped in the lunchbox, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. 

6) To slice, dip the knife in very hot water and wipe the blade dry before cutting the chocolate into squares. Return the knife to the hot water whenever it starts getting difficult to slice the chocolate. Dust the top of each cube with matcha powder before serving. 

Notes
The sweetness of the white chocolate can overshadow the matcha taste of the chocolate, so I definitely recommend dusting the chocolate with matcha powder. I'm thinking I should sift 2 tbsp of matcha powder into the chocolate mixture instead, to amp up the matcha flavour in the chocolate.  

Variation: I didn't try it, but I think it could be cute to make little balls of matcha nama chocolate truffles. 

2 comments:

  1. i spy a [hyperlink] right above where the recipe begins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops, added the missing link to a chocolate fondue recipe. Thanks for the heads-up!

      Delete