Sing Hon Loong Bakery - Chik's Crib

15 November 2016

Sing Hon Loong Bakery

At first, I wasn't at all excited when R told us there was an Asian bakery around Whampoa Food Centre. After all, Polish Rye Bakery had already set the standard so high with its gorgeous rustic loaves of bread (and for such a good price too!). But since we are already in the area, I thought it'll be a shame not to visit. 

I'm glad we did! There is a joy of that comes from discovering something unexpectedly magical. Sometimes it's checking out a local coffee shop right in the heartlands. Or something as simple as a well-made plum torte, and the smell of spices mingling with the baked plums and the buttery dough waffling out of the oven throughout the room. 


And today, it was the sight of this bakery that imparted a strong wave of nostalgia.
Was it the Chinese songs from the 1990s that was playing from the old-time radio? Or the rows of glistering bread that the workers were pulling out of their roaring-hot ovens? Or perhaps it was the sparse metallic minimalist interior with the old-school tile pattern? It certainly seemed like a sight from a bygone era.   

Stacked outside the store were crates upon crates of baked bread in various shapes and sizes. All of them were carefully labeled with their destination. I didn't know how I had the impression that Ya Kun makes their own bread; I found their labels stuck prominently on some of the crates. (The lady owner seemed quite bemused as I went label-hunting among the crates to see if I could spot other brands that I recognized.)

I didn't plan on buying anything, but the lady was so patient with our (okay my) inquiries, and the place had such a lovely retro vibe, I just had to try some of their breads. It's like grabbing a slice of history. 

The Red Bean Buns cooling on the racks above looked like a lovely option, but they were a little sparse on red bean. My dad liked how chewy they are, but I like the fluffier ones that my neighbourhood bakery sells.

R recommended the toasted-to-a-crisp bread-biscuit (I don't think they have a name..., only that it's $1.50 per bag). The lady-owner suggested eating it just as it is, or slathering it with kaya or a bit of butter. Miss XS didn't like it (and honestly, neither did I), but the biscuits found a fan in my mother who adored them. Looks like there's something for everyone in this bakery. I'll be back to search for something I like, and wander down memory lane as I go along. 
Maybe I should have gotten the bread that they sell to Ya Kun... Guess I just have to make another trip down memory lane soon

Sing Hon Loong Bakery 
4 Whampoa Dr, Singapore 327715
Phone:6256 0878

No comments:

Post a Comment