Pork Spare Ribs 1.0 - Chik's Crib

25 February 2019

Pork Spare Ribs 1.0

Shopping for meat in Melbourne was a sure-fire way to put me in a happy mood. I always patronise the shop with a huge crowd, because the high turnover means that their meat doesn't stick around long enough to go bad. Here in Singapore, meat-buying is a little different, and I had a bit of a shock when I first went to the market for beef short ribs. For one, there isn't nearly much traffic. Each stall only sells a small selection of cuts, prices are not displayed, and most importantly, the store-hands don't wear gloves. They chop meat - and collect money - using their bare hands. I was taken aback, but my folks just shrugged their shoulders and said that's how it’s done in Singapore. 

But ever since I discovered the joy that is Foodie Marketplace, my life has been irrevocably changed forever. No longer shall I grip about buying meat in Singapore! The place is well-lit and extremely well-stocked. Everything's under one roof: there's chicken, pork, lamb and beef, and every cut that you want, you can probably get here. Beef cheeks, (which can be elusive even in Melbourne) is aplenty here. The prices are so friendly, I've also decided that they are too nice to make a profit. Pork belly goes for $9/kg, and I bought these beautiful pork ribs at $12/kg. I don't even think I can find these cuts of meat at such prices in Melbourne! 

The street-side parking can be a little competitive in Tiong Bahru, but I'd learnt that it's about only a 20-minutes walk from my workplace, and it's easy to just pop by after work to pick up a slab of meat or two. (It's a little strange how little it takes to make me happy these days, but I ain't complaining.)   

Spare Ribs 1.0  
Adapted from Crazy Sticky Ribs by Gordon Ramsay

INGREDIENTS

======
1 onion
2 garlic cloves
Olive oil, for the pan
1/2 tsp chili flakes (optional)
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
90g dark brown sugar
300g tomato ketchup
55g dark soy sauce
1.2 kg pork ribs 

Salt, for seasoning

STEPS

========
1. Place the pork ribs in a tall roasting tray. Lightly season with salt, rubbing it into the pork. 
2. Preheat the oven to 150˚C/ 130˚C fan/ gas mark 2.
3. Peel and slice the onion. Then peel and roughly crush the garlic.
4. Place a frying pan over a medium heat. Add olive oil, onion and garlic, and fry until the onion browns and softens, about 4-5 minutes.
5. Add chilli (if using), fennel seeds and brown sugar. Stir until the sugar has melted, about 1 to 2 minutes. 
6. Add tomato ketchup and soy sauce. Mix well. Bring the mixture to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes, until the sauce thickens up.
7. Put the ribs into a deep-sided roasting tray and pour the sauce over the ribs. 
8. Cover the tray snugly with foil. Bake for 2 hours. 
9. Increase the oven temperature to 180˚C/ 160˚C fan/ gas mark 4, remove the foil and cook for 20 to 45 minutes, until the ribs are thoroughly cooked. If the sauce is not nicely thickened and coating the ribs, you may reduce the sauce further. Transfer the ribs and braising liquid into a large saucepan and place it over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the water have been boiled away and the sauce is reduced into a glaze. 
10. Serve warm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment