Baked Camembert Recipe - Chik's Crib

18 January 2021

Baked Camembert Recipe



I’ve been a big fan of baked Camemberts since my road trip through New Zealand. After a lovely store assistance took us through her way of baking Camembert, my life has never been quite the same. It took my family a few years to cotton onto the delight of a hot melting wheel of cheese, but I can proudly say now that they’re 100% on board with the idea. 

Part of my New Years' resolution is to eat healthier, and aside from increasing my intake of greens (yes, how we love people who brags about how healthy they're eating =.=), but more interestingly, this recent medical report from the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease caught my eye. This little tidbit, for example: 

  1. Cheese, by far, was shown to be the most protective food against age-related cognitive problems, even late into life;
  2. The daily consumption of alcohol, particularly red wine, was related to improvements in cognitive function;

So, as part of my new resolution for a healthier diet, I'll commence a habit of drinking red wine daily. And y'know, workin' on my night cheeseAll in the name of healthy living, obviously. 

Now pass the bottle of red wine.

The sun almost fully set by the time this picture was taken (hence the drop in photo quality!), but just look at the ooze on that cheese
The sun had almost fully set by the time this picture was taken (hence the drop in photo quality!), but just look at the ooze on that cheese. 


Baked Camembert 

Inspired from Baked Camembert on BBC Food 

Baking a wheel of cheese deepens their flavour and make it more pronounced. I find milder cheeses best for baking, and save the stronger cheeses for eating as is. 

INGREDIENTS

1 wheel of camembert
1 garlic clove, finely minced
3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
1-2 tsp honey
Sliced sourdough, to serve

STEPS

Preheat the oven to 200C.

Using a knife, gently cut and separate the top 0.5 cm of the camembert from the rest of its body. Sandwich the garlic, thyme and a drizzle of honey between the two layers of the camembert.

Place cheese in a small oven proof bowl and set it on a baking sheet. Add sliced sourdough to the baking sheet in a single layer. Bake in the oven for ten minutes, until the centre of the cheese is melted. Serve immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment