Tomato-Based Broth for Hot Pot - Chik's Crib

29 July 2023

Tomato-Based Broth for Hot Pot


Like most things, this started serendipitously. We blended up some tomatoes for an impromptu hotpot, and because my dad opened a couple of cans of abalone, I poured the abalone brine into the hotpot, which made this hotpot broth into something quite incredible. 

We can't always be eating abalone, but the good news is it tastes really good with chicken broth too. When I visited the US in October last year, I brought back with me several jars of Better than Bouillon, which I wrapped up as carefully as a newborn for the flight back to Singapore. And adding the chicken base to the tomatoes made a dramatic difference to the hotpot. I got all fancy at one stage, adding tomato paste and fish sauce, but as it turned out, the simple version is sometimes the best version. 

Tomato-Based Broth for Hot Pot  
Makes 6-8 servings

INGREDIENTS
9 tomatoes, quartered
3 tablespoons of Better Than Bouillon Chicken Stock

STEPS
1) In a blender, blend the tomatoes into a puree. Transfer to a large pot and add water to thin it out. 

2) Add chicken broth and stir to combine. Allow to come up to a boil over a stove, and then transfer to a portable stove for the hotpot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment