Koko Black - Chik's Crib

24 November 2014

Koko Black

My voyage into the spicy world that is Korean barbeque ended with me getting out relatively unscathed (Ha! Pun intended). Afterwards, we headed over Koko Black in Chadstone for desserts. It’s a place I’ve been wanting to try for the better part of the year, and I finally managed to coerce my friends into coming with me. Whee!

We had the Classic Belgian Hot chocolate ($6.50), and also shared a plate of Koko Black’s degustation ($26).



Degustation
All three of my friends found the hot chocolate too rich, proving there is too much of a good thing. I, on the other hand, wished it was richer and creamier. So take whatever you can from our views... Although I was always a bit of an aberration. 

Degustation

It was unanimously agreed, luckily, that best dessert of the degustation was the chocolate mousse with a caramel layer (Picture, second from last). The chocolate ice cream (furthest from picture) was excellent too, and I was sorely tempted to dunk it into my hot chocolate. (“Oh look over there guys, a UFO!”) Still, my table manners prevailed, and my mom would be proud of me. 



The other three look gorgeous, but they didn’t taste nearly as good. (As luck would have it, of course the best desserts were furthest away from my seat. But I managed to finagle the last bite, as well as the last laugh.)




The verdict? Their chocolate do taste fine, though only a couple of desserts we ordered in their cafe today were particularly outstanding. Koko Black is a fun place to hang out and chill for an hour, and is worth a visit to try some of their other products. Their Sandpiper Roasted Almonds/Macadamias (available in their store), for example, is excellent.


One pack for $8.90, 3 for $23. 

For a full-on chocolate craving, I would suggest heading over to Max Brenner afterwards for a cup of their hot chocolate, which is much more chocolate-y and thicker. But then you might have to coerce your friends to share that with you too, because it’ll be too much chocolate for one day. Even for me.

UPDATE!: I recently went to Koko Black at Chadstone a few weeks later, and had their Iced Chocolate ($8.90) to go. It came with two scoops of ice cream (Vanilla and chocolate) and was topped with flaked chocolate. It was rich, chocolatey, and utterly, utterly decadent. 



Must Try: 
Iced Chocolate


Koko Black on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment