Chocolate Pots de Crème Recipe - Chik's Crib

18 October 2015

Chocolate Pots de Crème Recipe

I had the chance to revisit this recipe recently when I looked at my burgeoning chocolate collection, and decided it was time to cull some. Besides, J loaned me her lovely ceramic pot collection, and I've been looking forward to bake with them. I used up one bar for a chocolate fondue a week before, but the chocolate itch hadn't quite gone away yet. 

I first made this recipe some years ago, when I was still trying to find my footing in baking. I wasn't nearly half as confident about baking then as I am now: everything I had tried before was unsatisfactory, and they languished away in the fridge for weeks before being invariably thrown away. This was the first recipe that I made which impressed my siblings - and they're notoriously hard to please. Even to this day, it occupies a special place in my heart as a landmark for me on how far I've come. 
It's quite simple to make, and tastes like the creamiest, richest chocolate custard you'll ever eat. This is one recipe where a good bar of chocolate is indicated. I used Lindt, and compared with one made from Nestlé Plaistowe, and the ones made from Lindt had a much more pronounced chocolate flavour. Here's hoping it brings you as much triumph - and confidence in baking skills - as it brought me. 


Chocolate Pots de Crème 
Recipe from culinate. Original recipe from David Lebovitz's Ready for Dessert.  
Makes 6 ramekins

Ingredients

7 oz. (200 grams) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 cups (500 milliliters) half-and-half (equal volume milk and cream) 
3 Tbsp. (45 grams) sugar
1 tsp. instant espresso or coffee powder (optional)
Pinch of salt
6 large egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)

Steps

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (175 Celsius). Set six 4- to 6-ounce (125- to 180-milliliter) ramekins or custard cups in a roasting pan or deep baking dish.

Put the chocolate in a large heatproof bowl. In a medium saucepan, heat the half-and-half, sugar, instant espresso or coffee powder (if using) and salt until quite hot, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Pour the hot half-and-half mixture over the chocolate and whisk until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Let cool until tepid, then whisk in the egg yolks and the vanilla. Make sure that the chocolate has cooled down somewhat before adding the egg yolks, or the yolks would cook. (David suggests that if the mixture looks at all grainy, whisk well or purée in a blender until smooth.)


Divide the custard mixture evenly among the ramekins. Fill the roasting pan or baking dish with warm water to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil and bake until the perimeters of the custards are just set and the centers are still slightly jiggly, about 35 minutes. (Mine took about 50 minutes). 


Transfer the custards from the water bath to a wire rack and let cool.


Serve slightly warm or at room temperature. Dust with powdered sugar if using. Small mounds of whipped cream and chocolate shavings are recommended options too. 


Notes

The custard mixture can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days before baking. Once baked, the custards can be chilled for up to 2 days (although they’re much better when they haven’t been refrigerated). Bring them to room temperature before serving. (My sisters and I happen to like them better cold, so it's really up to you.)

Where indicated, the pictures were taken by R.

No comments:

Post a Comment