Ah Chew Desserts (Bugis) - Chik's Crib

10 June 2016

Ah Chew Desserts (Bugis)

My favourite-est place for traditional Chinese dessert. It's not the most accessible place, but I drop by every once in a while whenever I'm in the area (and drag a couple of long-suffering friends with me as I go.) 

The one thing I always order is their Mango Sago with Pomelo ($4.20), which is delightful on a hot day. And Singapore is always hot... The chunks of pomelo adds a slight tangy note in contrast to the sweetness of the mango sago, and there are small bits of ice adds a nice crunchy texture. Must-try.  
Their Black Sesame Paste ($3) is so thick, it almost feels like I'm eating a curd. For people who always like to complain so-and-so's black sesame paste is thin, well, you'll love this one. This is about as thick as a paste can get to before you have to classify it as 'curd'. The black sesame is very finely grounded too. $3 is pretty pricey, but this is one of the better ones that I had. 
SEE it's almost like a curd. Good stuff.
We also ordered the Steamed Egg White Milk ($3.30) to go. The waitress told us 'hot' has more taste than the colder version, so that's what we got. It wasn't particularly impressive; my grandma and parents told me the ones that they used to make taste better - though our home recipe incorporate egg yolks too. I never had something like this before, and I made them promise to show me. (Recipe coming up soon? Hopefully.)  
As you can see, it didn't survive the journey home in one piece.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment