Chocolate Beet Cake with Strawberry Sauce Recipe - Chik's Crib

03 June 2016

Chocolate Beet Cake with Strawberry Sauce Recipe

So, I finally got around to making a beet cake. It sure ain't easy trying to gather up the ingredients, and I made a trip to Dandenong Market just to get my hands on some beets. 
One thing I learnt: beet STAINS. A lot. My formerly white blinds is now stained with flecks of purple, but hopefully, my landlord doesn't read my blog. 
If you are reading this right now though: *I swear* the blinds was like that already when I moved in. 

Disclaimer! Another thing I learnt was: beets traumatized me in my childhood. I must have had a horrible encounter with beets in my past, because the scent triggered an impending sense of doom.  I could have sworn that I have never had beets before, but halfway through cooking the beets, its haunting smell through the air. 

Everybody loved this, but I couldn't finish my slice. It's not the cake. It's me. Everybody assured me this cake is delicious, and cleared their plates clean. 
Help.

Chocolate Beet Cake Recipe
David Lebovitz wrote about this recipe, and I don't think there's anything I can add to his recipe. Instead of taking views away from his website by reposting his recipe, it's better to leave a link here instead. Instead, I'll talk about this strawberry sauce from allrecipes that I just did, which was as easy as they come... It makes a good accompaniment to slices of cake, though not nearly sweet enough to be a jam.  


Strawberry Sauce 
Makes about 1 jar.
Recipe from allrecipe
(I didn't follow the recipe to the letter, and mine didn't look as lovely as the picture from allrecipe.)

Ingredients 
340g strawberry (1 pint), washed, de-stemmed and coarsely chopped
65g sugar (1/3 cup)
1 tbsp vanilla

Steps
1.  Combine sugar, vanilla and strawberries in a saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until juice begins to form. Continue stirring and try to break up the strawberry pieces as much as you can to produce the syrup. 

2. Cook until sauce thickens, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and blend 1/3 of the mixture in a blender. Mix the 1/3 sauce back with the rest of the sauce and stir well. Refrigerate as soon as it cools down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment