Keng Eng Kee (Bukit Merah) - Chik's Crib

09 May 2017

Keng Eng Kee (Bukit Merah)

Another zichar experience for this holidays. I've been to KEK at Pandan Gardens before, but because I've always been slow on the uptake, I'd never equated KEK with Keng Eng Kee until I stepped into the restaurant here at Bukit Merah. I did a double-take at the menu's 'KEK', and even stopped a waitress just to ask her to confirm that yes, they're the same company. Sigh.  
We had the Fried Hor Fun (called Moonlight Hor Fun when you ask to add a raw egg into the dish.) I was expecting a wok hei party in my mouth on account of so many blogs singing its praise, but the hor fun was just intensely oily. There was no wok hei in the dish. 
I liked the Prawns with Salted Egg's crispy edges with rich sauce.   

The Kang Kong with Cuttlefish and Sambal was just ... strange. The sambal was pronouncedly sweet, and my dining companion was convinced he could taste tomato sauce mixed in. They were generous with the cuttlefish portion, but I actually preferred them to cut back on the cuttlefish and give us more vegetables. 

No comments:

Post a Comment