49 Seats - Chik's Crib

08 February 2015

49 Seats

After hearing so much good things about 49 Seats, a new restaurant on the block selling pasta, Miss XS and I went over for lunch one day. We beat the lunch crowd (Aha! Perks of being on holiday) and we chose a sunny spot along the glass walls of the restaurant.  




We had the Cheese Fries, which looked - and tasted - gorgeous. It was rich and generously covered in cheese. 

One glaring sign that I'm not cut out to be a food critic is that I have a bad habit of comparing food to fast-food alternatives. I compare all cheese fries to KFC's version, and all mashed potato to Popeyes'. Call me crazy, but these fast-food MNCs really do make great versions of these sides. 49 Seats' fries were hot and perfectly done, and I particularly enjoyed the rich cheese sauce. 

We wanted to try the exotic Tom Yum Pasta, but we ended up with the Smoked Duck Pasta which was highly recommended by the Hungrygowhere community. We didn't like this one. The spaghetti was overcooked and the slices of smoked duck tasted just like ham. The sauce was loaded with cream, and the entire dish was too gao to be enjoyed. It's like eating spoonfuls of heavy cream. We caved and ordered a Coke, and it was the best Coke I had in my life. 





We wanted to love this place. "Rich creamy sauce" comes to mind whenever I think about this place, and not in a good way. Maybe a combination of cream-based pasta and Cheese fries was a bad combination? Their prices are really affordable though, particularly for being in the Orchard area.





No comments:

Post a Comment