The Udder Pancake - Chik's Crib

01 July 2015

The Udder Pancake

Oh. My God. Udder Pancake might just be my new favourite place in Singapore. Is it the delicious food? Check. The all-important self-serving water dispenser every ice-cream store should have? Check. The hipster-ish, tongue-in-cheek emergency boxes scattered around the premise? Check. I walked around the establishment taking pictures like a tourist responsible blogger. The staff judged. Or at least, they would, if they weren't so darn cool with everything. And they know every other customer there wanted to do the same.
Going into cardiac arrest from the rich food? Don't worry. Udder Pancake got you covered.
When I flew to Australia, I found it astonishing that every shop closes by 6pm, and dinner place by 9pm. Are you craving supper at 10pm? You're pretty much on your own, buster. Better luck next time. Udder Pancake keeps a respectable opening-hour from 12pm to 11pm, which happens to suit my noctural food cravings. What's the point of coming back to Singapore, if not to indulge my food cravings no matter what time it is? Udder Pancakes was packed when we got there, but we managed to spot a few empty seats at one of the communal tables that was taken by a couple. Score! Eavesdropping on other tables is one of my favourite hobbies in public.


We had the Brown Butter Caramel Banana Pancakes ($9.90), which was warm, soft, fluffy and delectable. It made up for the lacklustre vanilla ice cream, which has an icy texture, like it has been around for a while. Seeing that Udders usually serves great ice cream, maybe this was just a bad batch. The small scoop didn't last the pancakes, and I half-wished we had the foresight to order another scoop to go along with the rest.



I wasn't big on ordering fries, but when we did, their Salted Egg Yolk Fries ($9.90) blew me away. If there's a fries of the year award, this would be my top choice. Think Salted Egg Yolk crabs, but with crispy fries and no pesky shells to deal with. Give me a plate of this fries any day.
The Geisha Matcha Mille Crepe Cake ($7.90) looked pretty impressive, but it was underwhelming. Really, really underwhelming. A group of three who ordered after us made the unfortunate mistake of ordering three crepe cakes without any pancakes or fries. From their disconsolate expression, and the way they left leaving half the slices untouched, I'm guessing they felt the same way as we did. 
This emotion, actually.
The Salted Egg Yolk fries was so good, the three of us hem-hawed for a while after finishing the 3 dishes we ordered before taking the plunge and ordering Mentaiko fries ($9.90), which was also recommended by the server. It reminded me of Takoyaki balls. Still good, but the Salted Egg Fries was in a league by itself.


Update! We tried the fabulous Salted Speculoos Ice cream, which has huge generous chunks of specuoos cookies, although my sis was a fan of their Thai Milk Tea Ice cream


Must-Try
Salted Egg Yolk Fries! Skip the disappointing crepe cakes, and get this instead. 

The full menu can be found at The Udder Pancake's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment