Star Yong Kwang BBQ Seafood - Chik's Crib

15 July 2015

Star Yong Kwang BBQ Seafood

There are two types of zichar stalls: one that you patronise because it's close by, and one where the food is so darn good you don't mind traveling out of your way for. Since I've been talking about zichar anyway, it's only right to share another one of my old favourites. This is a stall I go to at least once every holiday. Well, actually, their business is so good, they have about 3-4 stalls.The stall owners still can't recognise me by sight (yet), but still, a guy can dream.
Their claim to fame is the Salted Egg Spare Ribs, which, when done to a perfect crisp finish and tossed with a generous serving of salted egg sauce, is utterly delicious. It's by far my favourite dish here.* 
Another dish that we always get is the Stingray (S- $16, L - $18). I'm not a big fan of anything that's too spicy, but the stingray here, when served with the abundance of sambal chilli on top, is as good as any I had.  
I also usually order the Baby Kailan (S- $8, L - $12), which is a welcoming change of pace after all the oily/spicy combination of the other dishes. 
The Oyster Omelette is a common dish I order, but on my last visit, it didn't seem as satisfying as before. Not a lot of fragrance. Sorry, my other favourite, The Meeting Place, has you beat on this dish.
 
Another dish I am used to ordering was the Prawn Paste Chicken (S- $12, L - $18). It's a pretty decent version, but not as crispy as the ones from West Coz Cafe
And of course, no trip to Alexander market is complete without getting an Avocado milkshake ($2.50) to go after the meal. The competition is fierce around here, and the only one that we go to is the (presumably?) original. My love for avocado is a recent affair, but even when I didn't like the fruit, I love that milkshake. Plus, they say avocado is good for your skin...;) 
This one!!
Check out Star Yong Kwang BBQ Seafood's facebook here

*Although it's not infallible. On my most recent trip, the spare ribs that day were soft and soggy. Of course, that also happened to be the day when, upon overhearing two women in front of me wondering to each other what to order, butted in their conversation and told them to order this dish. Because I am that much of a nosy parker. They did order what I recommended. (I eavesdropped on them ordering,  just to make sure they got it right.) They probably left the market thinking I have bad taste. Merde


No comments:

Post a Comment