Chir Chir (Chinatown) - Chik's Crib

16 March 2016

Chir Chir (Chinatown)

It's now becoming a tradition that whenever I come back to Singapore and meet my friend, the first meal we will have together will be Korean Fried Chicken. At least, it will be, if I have it my way (although she complains I make her dieting impossible). We had Chicken Up the last time around, and this time, we checked out the newly opened Chir Chir here in Chinatown.  
I had difficulty finding the restaurant, and walked the mall from B2 to L3 without much success. I finally called my sister for help, and she pointed me towards the direction of Luk Yu, with Chir Chir just hidden in the corner opposite.

Despite my deep-held conviction that we shouldn't order roast chicken at a Korean Fried Chicken store, I relented and ordered the Garlic Roasted Chicken ($32.90). It comes with a salad, a baked potato and a hardboiled egg. I'm not sure if it's one entire chicken, because we seem to be missing a drumstick... Maybe the staff knows we are supposed to be on a diet?



Wow oh wow. The chicken hits all the right spot. The sauce was deeply flavourful, with chunks of minced garlic providing an intoxicating aroma. I used my chicken to bwa the hotplate to scoop as much up as possible.This is how roast chicken should be done. Time for The Rotisserie nearby to up their game.  

We shared a bowl of Rice ($2), which was pretty expensive...

The Verdict:
The restaurant was only half-full at lunch hour. I suspect they'll be more popular if not for their location, which made them so invisible. Still, we waited for 30 minutes for our food. Service was pretty slow, but I like how they give us an entire pitcher of water so I can drink as much as I fancy. The food is delicious and I look forward to trying other dishes. 

Update! November 2016:
On a more recent visit, I had the Garlicky Chicken (not to be confused with the Garlic Roasted Chicken.) It was everything you want in a Korean Fried Chicken: delectable garlic sauce drizzled generously over hot crispy skin and juicy chicken bits. 
We also had the Honey Butter Chicken. It was a decent chicken, but the soft-ish skin isn't what I am after when I order fried chicken. 
Their Macaroni and Cheese packed a wallop of cheese. It's a small plate, but the cheese makes sharing compulsory. Miss XS would have preferred larger macaroni; the small macaroni used here doesn't have much of a bite to it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment