Old Airport Road Food Centre - Chik's Crib

15 April 2016

Old Airport Road Food Centre

You eat a lot for your size, my friend told me. Hmmmph. Yes, the two of us ate everything listed here in one go. No need to be mean. 

After a previous unsuccessful attempt to come here, we returned to try our luck and we were rewarded with bustling stores. 


We came on a weekday lunch, and I was surprised to see no queues. Maybe it's because of Its ulu location? It's a residential district, so the queues will probably be intimidating during the weekends and holidays. This hawker stall list is a work-in-progress, just like the ones I have for Hong Lim Food Centre, Maxwell and Ghim Moh. I haven't even been to half of the famous stalls here... yet.  


Lao Fu Zi Fried Kway Tiao
Opens around 11.15am, and not one minute earlier. They take their rest time seriously. When I approached them at 11.10am, I was told to walk around and come back after 5 minutes to order. I suggested that I could tell them my order first and they can start cooking 5 minutes from now when they're ready, but they wouldn't hear a word of it.

I had the Dark Fried Kway Tiao ($4). It was ... pretty disappointing, a far cry from Outram Park Char Kway Tiao at Hong Lim Food Centre. This was too sweet, too spicy, and no wok hei. 

Lao Fu Zi did try setting up a stall at Hong Lim Food Centre, as it turned out when I told my parents about my experience here, but they closed shop after a few months. I'm guessing other people compared their skills with Outram Park's too, and found the former wanting.

Poor food, sucky attitude. I wouldn't be back. 

Freshly made Chee Chun Fun

I couldn't find their store-name: maybe they won too many accolades, they couldn't fit the store-name in too. The Chun Fun here is $2 a roll, and the owner makes them everyday to ensure their freshness. 
I had the Char Siew chun fun, which is decent, but we agreed that it's better not to get your hopes up about it. I wouldn't think it's anything special if not for all the blog hype about it.

Toa Payoh Rojak

The one stall during my visit that's worth the media attention. We had the rojak (duh) ($3). We asked for additional you tiao ($1). The you tiao and tao pok was awesome, courtesy of their charcoal grilling. They were crispy, the crispiest I had from a rojak hands-down. We asked for a little chilli, but it still turned out too spicy for us. But the rojak was so good, we braved the chilli just to get the every last bite. Best. Rojak. Ever. 

Xiang Ji Lor Mee
Disclaimer! I didn't try enough of this to make a judgement. There are three famous lor mee stores here, all of which has their own fan-base. The gravy at this stall isn't as starchy and thick as the traditional kind; it's something I can appreciate, but my friend prefers another stall. 

Albert Street Prawn Noodles (亚峇街大虾面)

I bought Miss XS a bowl ($5, add 20c for takeaway). The portion size for noodles was impressive, but the prawns were mushy. Sounds like a bad deal... 


Wish-list: Things I haven't tried, but wish I did

Nam Sing Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee
Chuan Kee Satay

No comments:

Post a Comment