Victor's Kitchen (Chinatown) - Chik's Crib

08 April 2016

Victor's Kitchen (Chinatown)

I first tried Victor's Kitchen back at their flagship store in Bencoolen. The owner/chef hails from Hong Kong, and makes pretty darn good dim sum. But the store at Bencoolen was hot, very packed, and we stood waiting outside for a couple of hours because the staff had trouble accommodating our numbers. Which admittedly, soured the experience. 

I was walking around Chinatown Point with my sister and to our surprise, saw that they opened a branch here. I pretended to deliberate for half a minute, before motioning "two seats" to the staff while my sister was distracted.


Liu Sa Bao ($4.80) is a dish that I always get in every dim sum place I go to. The ones here don't look very appealing, with the custard almost leaking out, but they still taste decent, with thin skin and rich custard filling. Is that why the custard is so visible from the outside?


I especially love the Scallop and Sausage Carrot Cake ($4.80) with the spicy XO sauce. My sis warned that the carrot cake might be too soft for my liking, but I like its soft gentle texture. I dumped the whole bowl of spicy XO sauce in, which made it too spicy for my sis. Ha! More for me.  



We also had the Chicken and Sausage in Glutinous Rice ($5.80). It was filled with a generous amount of meat, and I enjoyed every bite. 
Their Custard Bun is their claim to fame (it even says so on their website), but I didn't realise that when I went. I'll be sure to try it on my next visit.

I asked for 叉燒酥 (cha siew sou), but because this is not their main store, not every dish can be found here. But that's a small price to pay, in return for not having to be kept waiting for several hours... 

Their menu

No comments:

Post a Comment