Adriano Zumbo Pâtissier - Chik's Crib

25 December 2014

Adriano Zumbo Pâtissier

Just a short drive away from Steer is the famed Adriano Zumbo Pâtissier. A friend of mine went before I did, and generously gave me a Zonut, which was A. Zumbo's interpretation of the modern Cronut (a cross between a donut and a croissant). After one bite of the pastry, I knew I have to visit one day.



We went straight to Adriano Zumbo for desserts after lunch. But by that time, it was already far too late to get my hands on their Zonuts or their Zumbarons. Nevertheless, there was still a good variety of pastries available.





Out of the three that we ordered, the most impressive dessert we had was their Tarte aux Fruits de la Passion ($6). The passionfruit curd was soft, creamy and delicious, while the deeply browned base was crunchy and flakey. It was possibly the best pastry base I ever had. 



We also ordered the Individual Aerocake ($9). This coffee mousse looks pretty impressive, but the taste wasn't as impressive as the appearance. It was pretty sweet for my taste.



We tried their Pars de Strawberry Gran ($9), a kind of strawberry tart with granola. Once again, mad props to their presentation skills. I'm probably not the best person to review this dish. I love strawberries, but being on the wrong end of one too many spoonfuls of pink fever medication growing up made me strongly aversed to any kind of artificial strawberry flavouring, This dessert tastes reminiscence of the same thick, pinkish fever syrup, and I gave up after a bite. Judging by how long this dwelled on the table compared to the other desserts, the rest of my family weren't crazy about this either. Perhaps it's because we all share the same medication?



The Verdict:
Their service was a little lacklustre. The darkness of the cafe's interior and the harsh neon lights did little to create an inviting atmosphere to linger and chat. In spite of all this though, some of the desserts are spectacular and is worth a trip.






Must-Try:
Zonut (I forgot which flavour I tried, but I enjoyed the texture of the pastry, which I'd imagine should be uniform across all their zonuts.)
Tarte aux Fruits de la Passion

Adriano Zumbo Pâtissier on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment