Top Paddock - Chik's Crib

21 December 2014

Top Paddock

I had a few chances to visit Top Paddock over this summer, and if you know me at all, I gladly seize any and all opportunities (ie excuses) to eat food, especially in places I like. I was first introduced to Top Paddock by a friend who brought us there, and I later learnt it was one of the most popular brunch cafes in Melbourne. When my familiy came visiting recently, we went around 10 plus on a Monday morning and I was surprised to see it packed.   





I had a Magic, though the latte (both $3.80) was nicer in comparison. 



We had the Soft-Shell Crab roll in a Broiche Bun ($21), one of their signature dishes. I had a great experience with this dish before, but this time around, the crab was extremely salty. It was fresh and non-oily, trademarks of a great soft-shell crab, but the salt was over-kill.  

We also had the Gin and Lime-cured Ocean Trout Fillet ($20). The freshness of the seafood was evident, and the poached eggs were cooked to perfection. And what I took as roasted pork belly turned out to be... wait for it... goat cheese curd. (As stated on the menu. I really should learn how to read.) It was a good safe dish to order, though not particularly outstanding in any distinctive way. 



We also ordered a side of Scrambled Eggs ($3), despite my vehement protests that I make perfect ones, and would only charge them $2.50 if they want to try. Strangely enough, they went ahead to place the order, and we did enjoy perfectly done scrambled eggs when it came. Which, for $3, is a pretty good price.



The star dish was their Ricotta Hotcakes ($18), which was unbelievably good.  The serving size is quite huge though, and is probably more suited for sharing.The first time I went to Top Paddock, I ordered an entire plate for myself, and it was too much for me and I bartered some of it for my friend's Soft Shell Crab Bun. In smaller quantities, though, it's delicious and I savoured every bite. 

Their service, as usual, is top-notched, even though it was nearly full house. We managed to ask a passing waitress to take a picture of us. 


She also took a picture of our food for us, and it was clear she was a pro at food photography. Pro tip: You can tell who's a novice at food photography when he/she points the camera at the food and counts 1,2,3 out loud before taking the shot.


She teetered on tip-toes, but still managed to snap a perfect shot. 

The Verdict: Every dish we tried at Top Paddock was good, and there were no weak link in the dishes where we had to cajole others to eat more of a particular dish, as per all Asian dining tradition. The service was very friendly and top-notch.

Must-Try:
RIcotta Pancakes
Scrambled eggs


Top Paddock on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment