Bendigo! (Part 3): Old Green Bean - Chik's Crib

04 December 2014

Bendigo! (Part 3): Old Green Bean

Old Green Bean is located right near the heart of Bendigo city area, and is one of the more renowned cafe options over in Bendigo.


Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence 2014 
We tried several of their dishes over the two weeks that we were in Bendigo. Their Moroccan Chicken Wrap was fantastic, with a wonderful blend of spices. I didn't care for the salad that came along as a side, but I'd imagine that people who didn't mind the taste of rocket leaves would enjoy it. The spices of the Moroccan wrap can get a little heady though, so I'd recommend splitting the dish with a friend.


Moroccan Chicken Wrap


Their poached egg 
Their poached egg for this dish was perfect as well.

Baked eggs 
Mocha
The standard of coffee was excellent, and I was sorely tempted to buy a pack of coffee grounds for my moka pot back in Melbourne. 

I wanted to buy this from them as well, and keep my caffeine addiction afloat for the next few decades.
I had a Mocha on the first time I went there. However, the thing that keeps me up at night would be their Iced Coffee, which I had on another visit. Unlike the kind of iced coffee (In Singapore, at least) that has a dinky ice cube or two floating inside the cup and diluting the taste of coffee, Old Green Bean serves their ice coffee with a generous scoop of ice cream instead. This is my first cup of Iced coffee I had like this (I'm a total disappointment I know...), and now I'm a convert.



The verdict:
Old Green Bean is a place with good meal options and great coffee. The tripadvisor award is worth (in my books) a visit just to check the cafe off your touring checklist. If you're planning on having a meal here, be aware that the lunchtime crowd can get a little large. Personally, I enjoy going there during their off-peak period after walking around Bendigo. To see the cafe just ahead for me after a long time wandering about is a sight for sore eyes (and feet!)

Must-Try:
Moroccan Chicken Wrap
Iced Coffee 

Check out some of my Bendigo curriculum (Part 2) here!
Old Green Bean on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment