Chimac restaurant - Chik's Crib

18 December 2014

Chimac restaurant

Chimac is a Korean-Mexican fusion restaurant. It initially sounds a little weird to me (Korean and Mexican??), but somehow it works. And it works beautifully. With delicious food and great service, it's easy to see how this restaurant has cultivated a loyal following. And now they can count me in as one of their fans.

We went at 5.30pm and the restaurant was already half-filled when we entered. Located just across the street from Queen Victoria Market, it's convenient to grab a bite after visiting Queen Vic. It's unassuming exterior belies a rather comfortable, if hipsterish, vibe.





I love chicken and beer too. And I love hipster-ish places. Just keep those hipsters away. They ruin everything.

Based on the recommendations of the waitress, we ordered the Kimchi Carnitas Basket ($16),  Spicy Chicken Bulgogi Quesadilla ($16), Seafood Pancakes ($19) and  Bloody Sweet and Wonder Soy Fried Chicken ($32). At my incitement, we decided to have a beer. Or two. We were deciding between Jinro Lite (recommended by the lovely korean waitress) and Colllingwood Draft. Spotting the beer tap just beside us, I (shamelessly, if hesitantly) asked if I can have a sip first before choosing. Without hesitation, she filled a glass for me. Jinro Lite (1140ml for $18) is delicious, cold and easy to down. We ordered the jug, and towards the end of the meal, there simply wasn't enough to go around. I was particularly impressed that she chilled even the beer glasses.

The service was prompt and the food was served quickly. It was very remarkable, considering the open-concept kitchen was helmed by a single person when the food came out.

The first to be served was the Kimchi Carnitas Basket, which was a plate of fries topped with mozzarella cheese, jalapeños and kimchi. It was amazing and we (i.e. I) devoured every bite. The fries was hot, crunchy and perfectly salted.



Next was the Spicy Chicken Bulgogi Quesadilla. Is it safe to say that I love this fusion quesadilla more than any Mexican place? Cause it is. I'm embarrassed at my quirky sense of taste too. But I'm not sorry for the crispy exterior that cracks with every bite and the flavourful chicken bulgogi inside.



The Bloody Sweet and Wonder Soy Fried Chicken was pretty amazing in its own right, and comes a close second to my favourite Korean Fried Chicken place. Their chicken is crispier, but also tastes slightly oilier than Hudadak's.





The last dish was Seafood Pancakes. I loved their crispy-ness, but I wished for more seafood in mine.



The Verdict:
Adding cheese and jalapeños to traditional Korean dishes is an inspired touch. Chimac has great food and terrific service.  Like Arnold Schwarzenegger, I'll be back. (God I am so lame.)

Must-Try:
Kimchi Carnitas Basket
Spicy Chicken Bulgogi Quesadilla
(Wonder Soy) Fried Chicken

Chimac on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment