Department of Caffeine - Chik's Crib

20 January 2015

Department of Caffeine

[UPDATE: DOC is closed down as of 2016]

When Miss XS told me she wanted to try the waffles at DOC, I wrinkled my nose. I was never a fan of waffles. Even when I share one, it was just too filling. I gave a non-committal mm-hmm and filed it in my mind as a distant 'maybe'. Because I can never be right, I enjoyed the waffle the most out of everybody there when we finally went.    




We had the Valrhona Chocolate Waffles with Butter Rum Bananas, Vanilla ice cream and Crispy Royaltine ($22). 





As expected of anything that's made with Valrhona, the intense chocolate taste shone through every bite. The waffle was served fresh and hot. This is the first time I enjoyed eating a waffle so much, down to the very last bite (which I claimed, as usual). It has a crispy exterior with a soft chewy interior, which I couldn't get enough of.

The service was brisk, and very friendly. A waiter with a British accent dropped by when we were first seated to explain the menu of the day. I couldn't catch half the words, but I didn't want him to stop talking. We had to wait a bit for the food to be served, but it was a small price to pay for hot fresh waffles. During the wait, I walked around for a bit to check out the slices of cakes and tarts they had on display, and I wanted to try a bite of everything. 




Although, I did spot something familiar. Their flourless chocolate cake (2nd picture, centre) looks a lot like my Racines Cake...

My Racines Chocolate Cake, studded with cacao nibs and served with creme anglaise and cookies-&-cream ice cream. 

The Verdict:
I couldn't remember the last time I enjoyed eating a waffle as much. It was rich and delicious and any chocolate-lover would be pleased. With that said, I have to admit that $22 for a waffle is expensive. Perhaps to try once for a special occasion, but not everyday fare.   

Must-Try:
Valrhona Chocolate Waffles



No comments:

Post a Comment