Nakhon Kitchen - Chik's Crib

18 January 2015

Nakhon Kitchen

Nakhon Kitchen is a Thai place in Singapore that Miss XS insisted I have to try. She said the food was comparable to Jinda Thai, Melbourne's current 'it' Thai restaurant (and my favourite restaurant in my lil' Melbourne-Singapore sphere). But the original store at Hougang was a little out-of-the-way, and I bidded my time until Nakhon opened a branch at Pasir Panjang.



It made a great first impression: the place was clean, bright, and nicely-decorated. There was no air-conditioning (think Aston Express in kopitiams), but powerful fans kept the heat at bay.

I started with a Thai Iced Lemongrass ($3), which was insanely refreshing. I'm addicted to it, but I've never been able to find it in any of Melbourne's Thai restaurants, and their Thai staff always give me a most perplexed look when I ask them about it. The paranoid cynic in me is starting to suspect it's a drink made for stupid tourists like me, and no self-respecting local would even touch it. But I'm its biggest fan, and I'll follow it 'round 'til it loves me. Lemon, Lemongrass Tea. So there. The bottle of Singha Beer goes for $6, and is most definitely legit-ly Thai.  

We ordered the Papaya Salad ($5). It was way too spicy for me (as usual), so I didn't get to try. Miss XS commented that it was decent, but no 'wow' factor. The dish could use more peanuts for more texture.

The Pandan Leaves Chicken ($6) was so delicious that I wrangled two for myself. The chicken pieces were a little small for the price, but it was worth it. 

Another winner was the Deep Fried Red Fish with Thai Chili Sauce ($12). The skin was fried to a crisp and was perfect with the chili sauce. 

The Deep Fried Boneless Chicken Wings ($4) was disappointing. I preferred the taste of real chicken wings (with bones!) than this minced meat mixture.


The Tom Yum Soup with Thick Base ($6) was delicious, or so I hear. I didn't get to try a drop. Miss XS helpfully assured me that it was too spicy for me anyway as she finished my portion for me. 

Tom Yum Soup, bottom.
The Stir-fried Prawn with Yellow Curry Powder ($8) was a disappointment. It came with soggy prawns and the curry had a starchy taste. Miss XS said that the Hougang branch served 'em similar in standard to Jinda Thai's, so perhaps there's still a couple of wrinkles to iron out for this new branch. 


The Verdict:   
There are several impressive dishes. I really loved their flat fee, where the price listed in the menu is the price you pay. Any GST or service surcharges are already computed in the dish, and the price what you see is what you get. It's a pleasant surprise because there's no hidden costs. 

Must-Try:
Thai Iced Lemongrass 
Pandan Leaves Chicken 
Deep Fried Red Fish with Thai Chili Sauce
Tom Yum Soup with Thick Base 

No comments:

Post a Comment