Mt Dandenong Part 2: Pie in the Sky - Chik's Crib

03 January 2015

Mt Dandenong Part 2: Pie in the Sky

When I first went to Mt Dandenong a year ago, Pies in the Sky was a place that was highly recommended by Miss XS's friend. I had a great time there and since then, I have been back a couple more times. 



I remember the food took quite a while to arrive on my first lunchtime visit, which was understandable as the place was packed. I had an excellent mocha. We also had their scones, and a several pies from their huge selection, many of which are award-winning. Don't play-play.  



The scones were alright, and nothing impressive. The pies though, were in a different league. 




On my more recent trips, we learnt that it's cheaper to order the pies to go because of the seating surcharge. The bad part is that only the pies, and not their cafe food, were available to takeaway. But on the bright side, we were doing that anyway, since their pies were so good, we found ourselves buying plenty for the next morning's breakfast. And lunch. And tea time. 

Over several trips, we tried many of their pies. The Mushroom pie came chock-full of beef, and that's always enjoyable. My favourite pie is perhaps their Korma, which was a Gold Award Winner. We also usually got the Beef Burgundy, but Miss XS found the sliced beef inside a bit too tough.Their Bacon and Onion was pleasant enough, and my recent find Cheese pie was pushed around for quite a bit between us before everyone took a bite and universally tried to claim it for themselves .


Must-Try:
The pies! There is a huge selection available, and many are terrific in their own rights. We particularly loved the Korma and the Cheese




  Pie in the Sky on Urbanspoon


Go to my other restaurant review on Mt Dandenong: Part 3: Ms Marples Tearoom

No comments:

Post a Comment